Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Clockwork Eternal

I sit in the chair,
My head down, hands still,
My eyes unseeing, waiting, watching,
Feeling neglected by your touch,
As you play with others and in these moments
As the dust settles
I feel…trapped and alone
My arms strung too loosely to move
My legs unwound and lax,
Only the faint beat of my heart
Show signs that I am aware,
Waiting to come alive in your hands
Dully I watch you as if in a dream
Longing for the moment
As you caress the toy in your hands
That you would love me
In the same fashion
Then your eyes become distant
As if waking from a dream
And you look around
Searching for something lost to you
Then your eyes settle
On me.
Dully I watch as you enter
A cloth and a brush
Oil and parts,
You lovingly caress me
As if finding a prize possession thought
In your mind to be lost
Gently you fix me,
My arms and legs no longer useless
My skin shining with new paint
My hair gently curling down my back
And from a chest you pull
Shiny and new
a clockwork heart
It’s gears and cogs quietly ticking
Its springs moving in simple harmony
To your own beat.
As you place this into my chest
I realize that you had never
Forgotten me,
You were fixing my heart
And making it your own,
Upon winding the springs
To move my emotion
I come alive in your hands,
You smile at me a look of satisfaction
Gently caressing my face
Showing me that you would treat
None the way you treat me,
You will always be there, fixing me
Even when I don’t see the process,
I will never wait forever,
For my clockwork heart
Beats in time with yours
And our beat
Is eternal…

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the Tin Woodsman and Pinocchio. They didn't know what they had until someone else gave it value. But those that love them always knew what was there and helped them to recognize it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some ways we are all like Pinocchio, dolls and clockworks waiting for someone to love us and make us real people. :)

    ReplyDelete